The joint research unit for Land, environment, remote sensing and spatial information, Montpellier, France is looking for a PhD candidate to work on Biotic homogenization and patterns of change across gradients of anthropogenic pressures: The use of BIG DATA in answer to conservation needs. The goal of this PhD will be to identify the fundamental changes that are occurring in ecosystems as a result of biotic and environmental homogenization and address the conservation implications of these changes particularly as they relate to the human dimensions within a spatial context.
Disciplines: Spatial information, Ecology, Landscape Ecology, Data mining Remote Sensing
Will focus efforts around five different related key issues that will structure the thesis chapters and related outputs and publications:
- Develop a conceptual framework for assessing the potential ecological consequences of biotic and environmental homogenization
- Use existing data to explore patterns and trends of change in community similarity across different gradients of anthropogenic pressures at the global level
- Quantify how temporal and spatial patterns of change are occurring to gain understanding of the context and scale in which the homogenization process operates
- Analyse patterns and landscape configuration and morphology considering protected areas alongside anthropogenic gradients, as a proxy to measure the effectiveness of the protected area network globally to impede homogenization
- Use findings to provide recommendations towards conservation targets and strategies needed for an integrated sustainable management
- Master in eco-informatics or equivalent with strong background on Spatial Information Systems remote sensing
- Solid interest for ecology, macro-ecology, landscape ecology.
- Experience/training: Data Mining, Machine Learning, geomatics and statistics
- High proficiency in at least one programming language among Python and R,
- Excellent communication and writing skills. Production of scientific publications expected.
To apply, please follow this link, select topic N° 3168, enter the information as explained on the website and submit a CV and motivation letter.
Deadline: 15 May 2017
Download the full vacancy for more information.