Welcome to the official webpage of the Slovenia ESP national network. If you would like to visit this network’s discussion board, please click here (members only).
- Mateja Šmid Hribar, Anton Melik Geographical Institute, Research Centre of the Slovenian Academy of Sciences and Arts (ZRC SAZU)
Introduction & Objectives
Slovenian ESP National Network (ESP-SI) is still in its initial phase. If you are interested to join and help to further develop it, please contact the current lead team. ESP National Networks aim to improve decision making on ecosystem services by providing a platform for researchers, government, non-government, business, industry and communities to exchange information and experiences on the theoretical and practical application of ecosystem services at local to national scales.
Our aim is to create a transdisciplinary national network of researchers, policy and decision makers, non-government communities, and practitioners involved in ecosystem services (ES) in order to 1) further develop the concept of ES and its vocabulary at national level, 2) foster research on ES, 3) contribute to decision making and 4) by disseminating and implementing research findings in practice, contribute to more sustainable Slovenian society.
2nd Workshop of Slovene group to deal with ES (SOES) was held on May 23, 2018 at the Institute of the Republic of Slovenia for Nature Conservation in Ljubljana. The workshop was organized by the Institute of the Republic of Slovenia for Nature Conservation, Research Centre of the Slovenian Academy of Sciences and Arts and the Slovenian Forestry Institute.
Activities and outputs
- The first meeting of Slovene group to deal with ES – SOES (representatives from Research Centre of the Slovenian Academy of Sciences and Arts, Slovenian Forestry Institute, and Slovenian Forest Service) with the representative from the Ministry of the Environment and Spatial Planning who is also the new MAES representative for Slovenia, was held on March 6 2020. We have discussed future steps and activities which will be taken on ecosystem services study and governance in Slovenia.
- On February 27 2020 we held an expert workshop »Insights into Slovenian environmental protection policies from the perspective of ecosystem services (EC) governance in the Karst area«. This workshop aimed to discuss and break down issues related to the governance of ecosystem services (EC) in the Karst and the impact that policies and institutions have on the EC in the Karst today. The expert workshop was organized by the University of Primorska, Faculty of Humanities in collaboration with Södertörn University from Sweden.
- A new EU project ECOVINEGOALS – ECOlogical VINEyards GOvernance Activities for Landscape’s Strategies has started in March. More news on this project will be delivered in the coming months.
- Initial workshop of Slovene group to deal with ES (SOES) was organized on March 20, 2018.
- In 2017 the Research Centre of the Slovenian Academy of Sciences and Arts (ZRC SAZU) joined the ESMERALDA Project – Enhancing ecoSysteM sERvices mApping for poLicy and Decision mAking . This Project aims to deliver a ‘flexible methodology’ that can simultaneously provide innovative building blocks for pan-European, national and regional ES mapping and assessment.
- Since 2016 the Research Centre of the Slovenian Academy of Sciences and Arts (ZRC SAZU) has been involved in IPBES activities.