Introduction & Objectives
Tree-based solutions, especially forests are well known for providing benefits for human well-being, and traditionally used as a nature-based solution to mitigate the undeniable effects of climate and environmental change. However, many of the already implemented mechanisms need a robust evaluation of the environmental and costs effectiveness, and new projects could generate new insights for their design and governance. Governments have traditionally focused on ‘grey’ rather than ‘green’ solutions (e.g. flood protection structures, drainage systems, water treatment plants), which may not offer the best alternative once wider benefits and co-benefits are accounted for. It’s important to identify where tree-based solutions could be operationalized, assessing their benefits and co-benefits, including ecosystem services and biodiversity, financing mechanisms and possible new market incentives.
- Nature-Based Solutions & the role of trees: successes & failures, barriers & opportunities
- Market Potential for tree-based Solutions, including Cost-effectiveness and Cost-benefit analysis
- Innovative Financial Instruments, business models & finance mobilisation
Objective: to create a platform of interaction and reflection for people with interest in mainstreaming tree-based solutions through new financing mechanisms and governance arrangements, involving PES.
This working group will build on previous work undertaken under the PESFOR-W COST Action on environmental effectiveness, cost-effectiveness, design and governance, and communication and marketing of woodlands for water payments for ecosystem services schemes.
Lead Team & Members
- Cláudia Carvalho-Santos (Centre for Molecular and Environmental Biology, University of Minho, Portugal) [email protected]
- Benedetto Rugani (Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology, Luxembourg) [email protected]
If you are interested in becoming a member of thi working group, please contact the current lead team members.
Plans and proposed activities
The group will provide a forum where people can meet, exchange ideas, participate in sessions or workshops organized at ESP or other conferences and promote collaborations for projects and scientific papers. We may envision visits to specific case-studies where tree-based solutions financing mechanisms are applied.