Welcome to the official webpage of the Bulgaria ESP national network. If you would like to visit this network’s discussion board, please contact the lead team.
- Stoyan Nedkov, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences
- Svetla Bratanova-Doncheva
- Hristina Prodanova (support)
- Vanya Stoycheva (support)
- Rositsa Yaneva (support)
If you are interested in becoming a member of the lead team, please contact the current lead team members.
If you are interested in becoming a member of this national network, please contact the lead team.
Introduction & Objectives
During the last few years the ecosystem services concept attracted many researchers, national institutions and NGO’s which led to different initiatives and activities. However, there is a need for coordination and communication among them in order to achieve their objectives. This motivated us to establish National Network of Bulgaria within ESP.
The first ecosystem services related activity was carried out in 2007 under a GEF funded Rhodope project with an assessment of ES in 18 municipalities in the area of Rhodope mountains. During the next years a research group at the National Institute of Geophysics Geodesy and Geography started activities on ES mapping and assessment in several case study areas. The most important event in the last years was the launch of national assessment of ecosystems and their services in 2014 which led to development of methodology for ES assessment and mapping. Currently there are nine projects that carry out mapping and assessment in the nine ecosystem types according to MAES typology.
Objectives of the National Network in Bulgaria
- Provide a focal point for ESP members at the national level, in Bulgarian language
- Organize meetings and conferences of interest to the National ESP members
- Support the implementation of ES science and practice at national and local levels and especially by contributing to national assessments and policy evaluations
- Feed bottom up information into regional and international activities
- Maintain a database of researcher and practitioner expertise, contacts and projects
- Organize meetings of interest to the National ESP members
- Actively promote ESP activities and membership
- Actively promote national activities and membership
- Promote educational opportunities to improve understanding of ES