Welcome to the official webpage of the Kazakhstan ESP national network. If you would like to visit this network’s discussion board, please click here (members only).
- Sholpan Davletova, Kazakh National University, Almaty, Kazakhstan
If you are interested in becoming a member of the lead team, please contact the current lead team members.
If you are interested in becoming a member of this national network, please click here.
UN releases a film about the environmental conservation initiative Golden Steppe.
In 2006, only 50,000 animals of the unique Saiga antelope were left. Today, there are more than 1 million individuals roaming Kazakhstan’s golden steppe. Watch to learn more about this incredible rewilding success. The Altyn Dala Initiative has been recognized as a World Restoration Flagship under the UN Decade on Ecosystem Restoration. Watch the film here.
Activities and Outputs
The Central Asian Regional Environmental Center (CAREC)
CAREC was established in accordance with the resolution of the IV Pan-European Conference of 1998 in Aartus (Denmark). CAREC began its work in 2001 after the Republic of Kazakhstan had ratified the egreement on CAREC operating as an independent non-profit, non-political, and international organization. The five Central Asian countries – Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, and Turkmenistan – as well the United Nations Development Program (UNDP) and the European Commission (EC) are the Center’s co-founders. CAREC held office is located in Almaty, Kazakhstan while its country offices operate in all Central Asian states (CAS).
CAREC PROJECTS IN KAZAKHSTAN
- Mainstreaming ecosystem service into macroeconimical and sectoral programes of the Republic of Kazakshtan
- Valuation of ecosystem services for improved water resources management in the agricultural sector of Kazakhstan
- Introduction of an effective water use system in Merke District of Zhambyl Region of the Republic of Kazakhstan
Find out more about CAREC projects here.
- Training on the application of methods of economic valuation of natural resources and biodiversity in the framework of the GEF / UNDP / Government of the Republic of Kazakhstan “Economic evaluation mechanisms to improve decision-making and management of the implementation of commitments under global environmental agreements», December 4-5, 2015, Almaty, Kazakhstan.
- The final meeting, the dialogue on policies and measures and consultation project of UNEP and Regional Environmental Center for Central Asia (CAREC) “Maintreaming ecosystem services into sectoral and macro-economic policies and programs of the Republic of Kazakhstan”. November 5-6, 2015, Astana, Kazakhstan.
Related networks and projects
Association for the Conservation of Biodiversity of Kazakhstan (ACBK)
ACBK is a non-governmental, non-profit organization working for wildlife research and conservation in Kazakhstan dedicated to the conservation of the unique wildlife and landscape of Kazakhstan. Since 2010, ACBK is a Partner of BirdLife International. The ACBK programs implemened in cooperation with national and international partners are available here.