Sub-working group of BWG 1 – Marine Systems
1. Introduction & Objectives
Objective: The objective of the Open Oceans Working Group is to provide a platform for researchers and practitioners to exchange information and discuss ideas and experiences on Assessment of Ecosystem Services provided by open oceans and make the information available to a wider community of users. Much is known about coastal systems but much less about the services and values of open oceans.
2. Lead Team
- Salman Hussain, SAC, UK (Temperate Open Ocean)
- Linwood Pendleton, Duke Nicholas Inst. & NOAA (Tropical Open Ocean)
- Rebecca Koss
- Stephen Hynes, National University of Ireland
- Carolin Planitzer
If you are interested in becoming a member of the lead tea, please contact the current lead team members.
If you are interested in becoming a member of this working group please click here.
3. Activities and Outputs
This Working Group has close links with the “Marine Systems Working Group” which is working on, among others a database on Marine ES and values, Coastal and Marine Spatial Planning tools using ES (notably Marine InVEST) and Marine Ecosystem Based Management (EBM) tools and concepts.
4. Related Networks and Projects
- ODEMM (Leonie Robinson, Rebecca Koss, Stephen Hynes (?) (Liverpool Univ., UK)
- VECTORS (Melanie Austin, Nicola Beaumont, Caroline Hattam (Plymouth Marine Lab., UK)
- MAST (Nick Hanley) & Center for Blue Economy & Ocean Economics (Rebecca Koss)