The Urban Ecosystems Working Group has held sessions at the Annual ESP Conference:
- 2018 Asia ESP Conference: Integrating ecosystems and their services in peri-urban planning and policy in Bengaluru, India Book of Abstracts, Presentations
- 2018 Europe ESP conference:Implementation of the ecosystem services concept for urban planning and development Book of Abstracts, Presentations
- 2018 European ESP conference: Urban agriculture and ecosystem services Book of Abstracts, Presentations
- 2018 European ESP conference: Just green cities – Adding dimensions of justice to urban ecosystem service assessments Book of Abstracts, Presentations
- 2016 Latin American ESP conference: Ecosystem services in urban landscapes Book of abstracts, Presentations
- 2016 European ESP conference: Nature-based solutions for urban challenges Book of abstracts, Presentations
- 2016 Asian ESP conference: Urban ecosystem services: Evaluation, engineering and management Book of abstracts, Presentations
- 2015 ESP world conference: Urban Ecosystem Services: Approaches, Tools, and Frameworks for Dealing with Urban Complexity Book of abstracts, Presentations
- 6th Annual ESP Conference Bali 2013: Session 32 “Towards an Integrated Framework for Investigating Urban Ecosystem Services”
- 7th Annual ESP Conference Costa Rica 2014: Session 51 “Urban Ecosystem Services: Linking Research and Governance for Sustainability”
Urban relevant models and assessment, mapping and valuation tools
This list contains well-known and widely used urban models. If you know any other relevant models that should be included, please recommend to us with an introduction or link. We will continue to update the list.
- i-Tree tools: Urban forestry analysis and benefits assessment tools Reconnecting cities to the biosphere: Stewardship of green infrastructure and urban ecosystem services. AMBIO 43: 445-453. doi:10.1007/s13280-014-0506-y.
- ENVI-met: A three-dimensional microclimate model
- Storm Water Management Model: A dynamic hydrology-hydraulic-water quality simulation model
Journal Special Issues on Urban Ecosystem Services:
Landscape and Urban Planning, Special Issue (2013), “Urban Ecosystem Services”
AMBIO Special Issue (2014), “Ecosystem Services in Urban Landscapes: Practical Applications and Governance Implications
Ecosystem Services (Special Issue in progress for publication in 2014), “Pushing the Frontier of Urban Ecosystem Services Research: Lessons and the Future”
Environmental Science and Policy (Special Issue in progress for publication in 2015), “Advancing urban ecosystem governance: Ecosystem services as drivers towards urban resilience and sustainability”
Recent or Noteworthy Papers:
Andersson, E., S. Barthel, S. Borgström, J. Colding, T. Elmqvist, H. Ernstson, C. Folke, and Å. Gren. 2014.
Bolund, P. and S. Hunhammar. 1999. Ecosystem services in urban areas. Ecological Economics 29: 293–301. doi:10.1016/S0921- 8009(99)00013-0.
Brander, L.M. and M.J. Koetse. 2011. The value of urban open space: Meta-analyses of contingent valuation and hedonic pricing results. Journal of Environmental Management 92:2763-2773. doi:10.1016/j.jenvman.2011.06.019.
Ernstson, H. 2013. The social production of ecosystem services: A framework for studying environmental justice and ecological complexity in urbanized landscapes. Landscape and Urban Planning 109:7-17. doi:10.1016/j.landurbplan.2012.10.005
Escobedo, F.J., T. Kroeger, J.E. Wagner. Urban forests and pollution mitigation: Analyzing ecosystem services and disservices. Environmental Pollution 159(8-9): 2078-2087. doi:10.1016/j.envpol.2011.01.010
Fang, C.F. and D.L. Ling. 2003. Investigation of the noise reduction provided by tree belts. Landscape and Urban Planning 63:187-195. doi:10.1016/S0169-2046(02)00190-1.
Gómez-Baggethun, E. and D.N. Barton. 2013. Classifying and valuing ecosystem services for urban planning. Ecological Economics 86:235-245. doi:10.1016/j.ecolecon.2012.08.019.
Gómez-Baggethun, E., Å. Gren, D.N. Barton, J. Langemeyer, T. McPhearson, P. O’Farrell, E. Andersson, Z. Hamstead, and P. Kremer. 2013. Urban Ecosystem Services
Haase, D., N. Larondelle, E. Andersson, M. Artmann, S. Borgström, J. Breuste, E. Gomez-Baggethun, Ǻ. Gren, Z. Hamstead, R. Hansen, N. Kabisch, P. Kremer, J. Langemeyer, E.L. Rall, T. McPhearson, S. Pauleit, S. Qureshi, N. Schwarz, A. Voigt, D. Wurster, and T. Elmqvist. 2014. A Quantitative Review of Urban Ecosystem Services Assessments: Concepts, Models, and Implementation. AMBIO (Special Issue) 43:413–433. doi:10.1007/s13280-014-0504-0.
Larondelle, N. D. Haase and N. Kabisch. 2014. Mapping the diversity of regulating ecosystem services in European cities. Global Environmental Change 26:119-139. doi:10.1016/j.gloenvcha.2014.04.008
McPhearson, T., P. Kremer, and Z.A. Hamstead. 2013. Mapping Ecosystem Services in New York City: Applying a Social-Ecological Approach in Urban Vacant Land. Ecosystem Services 5:11-26. doi:10.1016/j.ecoser.2013.06.005.
McPhearson, T., Z.A. Hamstead, and P. Kremer. 2014. Urban Ecosystem Services for Resilience Planning and Management in New York City. AMBIO: Journal of the Human Environment (Special Issue) 43:502–515. doi:10.1007/s13280-014-0509-8.
Nowak, D.J., D.E. Crane, and J.C. Stevens. 2006. Air pollution removal by urban trees and shrubs in the United States. Urban Forestry & Urban Greening 4:115-123. doi:10.1016/j.ufug.2006.01.007.
TEEB – The Economics of Ecosystems and Biodiversity. 2011. TEEB Manual for Cities: Ecosystem Services in Urban Management.
Vauramo, S. and H. Setälä. 2011. Decomposition of labile and recalcitrant litter types under different plant communities in urban soils. Urban Ecosystems 14:59-70. doi:10.1007/s11252-010-0140-9
Wang, Y., F. Bakker, R. de Groot, and H. Wörtche. 2014. Effect of ecosystem services provided by urban green infrastructure on indoor environment: A literature review. Building and Environment 77:88-100. doi:10.1016/j.buildenv.2014.03.021.