This group organised a special session at the 7th ESP conference Sept 8-12, 2014 in Costa Rica. The special session entitled, ‘Integrated Agricultural Systems to Enhance Ecosystem Services’ attracted speakers from 14 different countries and presented leading research on the topic at the session.
Major achievements of the session
- Better understanding on internalising the value of ecosystem services in agriculture and
- Relevance and contribution towards agricultural policies to achieve food security and sustainable development goals
ESP conference outputs
- 2019 ESP10 world Conference: Agroecology: Managing biodiversity and soil health for the sustained provision of ecosystem services in agriculture Book of abstracts, Presentations
- 2018 Latin America ESP Conference: Ecosystem services and rehabilitation of agroecosystems: Achieving the goals of four main MEAs in smallholder dominated rural landscapes Book of Abstracts, Presentations
- 2018 Latin America ESP Conference: Multiple Ecosystem Services in Agriculture Book of Abstracts, Presentations
- 2018 Europe ESP Conference: Ecosystem service multifunctionality in agroecosystems: can we soften biophysical and social tradeoffs? Book of Abstracts, Presentations
- 2016 Africa ESP conference: S1a Agricultural landscapes and ecosystem services as solution space for the SDGs Book of abstracts, Presentations
- 2016 Africa ESP conference: S1c Perennial grasses and their ecosystem services in smallholder crop-livestock mixed farming system of Eastern Africa Book of abstracts, Presentations
- 2016 Africa ESP conference: S1d Bioenergy and ecosystem services: Exploring trade-offs at the energy, food, environment and poverty nexus in Africa Book of abstracts, Presentations
- 2015 ESP world conference: Ecosystem services in agro-ecosystems: progress and prospects Book of abstracts, Presentations
- Synthesis paper on integrated agricultural systems, including multiple authors who presented at the session, is in progress with inputs from this session. Focus is on development of a conceptual framework that builds on current ecological intensification model, with case studies presented at the session.
- We will recruit more members in the working group this year.
- Improve web presence.
Ghaley B, Porter J, Sandhu H. (2015) Relationship between C:N/C:O stoichiometry and ecosystem services in managed production systems. PLoS One 10(4): e0123869. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0123869.
Feng Y, Wratten S, Sandhu H, Keller M (2015) Host Plants affect the foraging success of two parasitoids that attack light brown apple moth, Epiphyas postvittana (Walker) (Lepidoptera: Tortricidae). PLoS One 10(4): e0124773. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0124773.
‘Ecosystem Services in Agricultural and Urban Landscapes’ edited by Steve Wratten, Harpinder Sandhu, Robert Costanza and Ross Cullen, 2013. www.wiley.com/buy/978-1-4051-7008-6
Sandhu H, Wratten S, Costanza R, Pretty J, Porter J, Reganold J. (2015) Global significance of non-traded ecosystem services on farmland. PEERJ 3:e762. https://peerj.com/articles/762/
Ghaley B, Porter J, Sandhu H. (2014). Soil-based ecosystem services: A synthesis of nutrient cycling and carbon sequestration assessment methods. International Journal of Biodiversity Science, Ecosystem Services & Management, 10, 177-186.
Sandhu H, Crossman N, Smith F (2012) Ecosystem services and Australian agricultural enterprises. Ecological Economics 74, 19-26.
Sandhu HS, Wratten SD, Cullen R (2010). The role of supporting ecosystem services in arable farmland. Ecological Complexity 7, 302-310.
Sandhu HS, Wratten SD, Cullen R, (2010). Organic agriculture and ecosystem services. Environmental Science and Policy 13, 1-7.
Porter J, Costanza R, Sandhu H, Sigsgaard L, Wratten S (2009). The value of producing food, energy and ecosystem services within an agro-ecosystem. Ambio 38, 186-193.
Sandhu, H.S., Wratten, S.D., Cullen, R., Case, B. (2008) The future of farming: the value of ecosystem services in conventional and organic arable land. An experimental approach. Ecological Economics 64, 835-848.
Sandhu, H.S., Wratten, S.D., Cullen, R. (2007). From poachers to gamekeepers: perceptions of farmers towards ecosystem services. International Journal of Agricultural Sustainability 5, 39-50.