- 2019 ESP10 world Conference: Quantifying the relationship between biodiversity and ecosystem services Book of abstracts, Presentations
- 2018 Latin America ESP Conference: Ecosystem services and human well-being in Latin America and the Caribbean protected areas Book of Abstracts, Presentations
- 2018 Europe ESP Conference: Linking land management and biodiversity change to ecosystem services Book of Abstracts, Presentations
- 2018 Europe ESP Conference: Integrating biodiversity and ecosystem services in ecosystem-based management of aquatic systems Book of Abstracts, Presentations
- 2015 8th World conference: Plant-soil feedbacks and adaptation to climate change Book of abstracts, Presentations
- Session organized at 7th Annual ESP Conference in San José, Costa Rica, September 2014
Some members of the lead group organized a session entitled ‘Challenges in exploring the relationship between biodiversity and ecosystem services at different spatial scales’, which aims to elucidate current research gaps regarding the existing relations between biodiversity and ecosystem services in terms of (i) biodiversity components (i.e., gen, species, functional traits, or ecosystems), (ii) ecosystem services, (iii) habitats, (iv) metrics and indicators, or (v) spatial scales; in order to to learn from the different approaches for analyzing biodiversity and ecosystem services. On the basis of current research gaps, we would aim to identify the future challenges and the scientific agenda to tackle them in terms of (i) experiments and meta-analyses; (ii) synthesis of observations at different scales; and considering a (iii) social-ecological systems approach.
Different speakers from Europe and Latin America presented us new challenges in the topic: Sandra Lavorel, Violeta Hevia & Berta Martín-López, Paula Harrison, Darlin Patricia Botto Barrios,
Camille Dross and Sander Jacobs.
On the basis of the post-session discussion we decided that the next step should be to identify or delineate a future research agenda of biodiversity and ESs interlinkages.
For more information, please contact Berta Martín-López
Book chapter: The link between ecosystem services and biodiversity
Some members of the working group will publish a chapter for the Handbook of Ecosystem Services edited by Roy Haines-Young, Marion Potschin, Robert Fish and Kerry Turned, entitled ‘The link between ecosystem services and biodiversity’. In this chapter, we review the key and useful concepts for analyzing the links between biodiversity and ecosystem services, we present the current evidence of the interlinkages between biodiversity and provisioning, regulating services and cultural services, we reflect about the complex associations on the basis of resilience, trade-offs, scaling, substitutability and sustainability. To be published soon…
For more information, please contact Patricia Balvanera.