As a knowledge base dedicated to showcasing the richness and value of nature-based solutions in cities worldwide, the Urban Nature Atlas (UNA) aims to inform, inspire, and enable everyone interested in bringing their transformative power to bear on the cities of the future. Presenting nature-based solutions in cities, the Urban Nature Atlas now profiles in detail over 1000 projects from European cities and beyond. [Read more…] about Urban Nature Atlas
Connecting Ecosystem Services Science and Policy in the Field
New paper from the National Ecosystem Services Partnership (US): Connecting Ecosystem Services Science and Policy in the Field
Conservation and provision of ecosystem services (ES) have been adopted as high-level policy in many countries, yet there has been surprisingly little application of these broad policies in the field; for example, ES are rarely considered in permit issuance or other discrete agency actions. This large implementation gap arises in part because the science that drove general policy interest in ES differs from the science needed for practical application. A better understanding of the environmental policy toolkit can guide more effective research to support agency decisions. [Read more…] about Connecting Ecosystem Services Science and Policy in the Field
ESP Brazil network updates
The ESP Brazilian Network would like to bring your attention to the following recent relevant publications:
- The Brazilian Institute of Geography and Statistics (IBGE) launched the updated versions of the natural capital accounting regarding water bodies and non-timber forest products. Both publications are available for a free download here and here.
- Strategies to reach global sustainability should take better account of ecosystem services – full publication is available here.
- An entire book dedicated to present the history, biodiversity, threats and opportunities of the mega-diverse Atlantic Forest, including a chapter about ecosystem services.
SDGs: what’s wrong and what do we need to change
ESP member Dr. Bulat K.Yessekin, a senior expert on water, environment and climate change and also The National Coordinator on sustainable development of Kazakhstan for UN from 1998 to 2012 has recently written the following report titled “SDGs: What’s wrong and what do we need to change”. [Read more…] about SDGs: what’s wrong and what do we need to change
Updates from ESP Brazil
The ESP Brazil network is pleased to announce the following updates:
- Resilience of Community Food Systems (CFS): Co-Design as a Long-Term Viable Pathway to Face Crises in Neglected Territories?
A publication on how COVID-19 affected the food systems and what can be done to overcome the challenges. This publication is a result of a collaborative study between Brazil and Germany. You can access it from here.
- Brazils Highway BR-319: The road to the collapse of the Amazon and the violation of indigenous rights
A scientific publication that impacted a public call in the Amazon region. You can access it from here.
- The ESP Brazilian network is on Instagram! You can follow them now @brasil.esp.